Monday, July 27, 2009

Nancy Drew and the case of the missing beverage money

About a month ago, Landan heard a loud crack in the middle of the night. He came out to check things out. Someone had broken off the lock of our back garage door. About 2 weeks ago I discovered my beverage money that I keep stashed away in my car was missing. A day or two later I heard my car door slam. I thought it was Addie but later discovered she was in my room watching TV. I went outside to the car and my money spot had been robbed yet again. I figured it was a kid because both time the money was taken they didn't touch my debit card that was right there too. I told Addie she needed to make sure she didn't leave the garage door open and I tried to remember to lock the car doors. A few days later as I was mowing the back lawn I was robbed again. Today, I unloaded my kids and started making them lunch when I realized I didn't close the garage door or lock my car. I went outside and guess what?? my money was stolen again. This was the last straw for me. I went on my gut feeling and walked across the street to my neighbors and pulled the Foster dad outside to have a chat. Turns out my gut was right. He was wondering where these children were getting all of their money. He made them bring it back over to me and apologise. He didn't come with them and this was the apology. " We found this money blowing in the wind outside by your house" They proceeded to hand me several dollars in quarters and 1 dollar bills. I knew it wasn't all that they had taken but figured it was my loss. They then asked if they could sweep out my garage. Umm no thank you! About an hour later the f mom came over with them with two more baggies of money and made them do a real apology. I thought both of the foster parents handled the situation perfectly. Hopefully they can help these kids get things figured out. I was just glad to have the mystery solved and my beverage money returned. Trey fell asleep on the way home from My mom's house. 1.5 miles. I thought this pic was too cute.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I'm glad you soved that one - wouldn't want you to have to give up on your daily beverages!! (Scary at the same time - double lock your doors!!)

Megz said...

That would be disturbing. Good thing they were too young to know the debit card could have gone a lot further!
Way to be Nancy Drew. I know you wouldn't want to be Bess.

The Mathews Family said...

Stealing bevey money from an addict should be a felony! :D I think all adults involved handled the situation perfectly. You're very brave for what you did. I'd be too chicken to confront the foster dad and would have just let it fester. Keeping my fingers crossed that those kids learned their lesson.
-Jessica

Diana said...

They would have been better off to steal your food money. Beverage money is sacred.

Lacee DeG said...

Crazy-I'm glad they were punk kids and not gun-toting killers. You should celebrate your bravery with a diet coke!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

I'm glad the thieves fessed up! I would've been a lot meaner I think, oh and congratulations on being the meanest mom on the block! I would be proud as well, way to go Steph! I hope Trey's (?) lip is healing....man I guess kids will be kids huh? I'm so excited for those days to come?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.